Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Linux Store

I was just reading up on the membership benefits for members at Linux foundation. It says:

"20% Off of merchandise from the Linux.com Store, featuring cool shirts and more"

Going to:

http://store.linux.com/

... I get told that the page is taken closed, but it does not say anything about for how long, or if it is permanent.

If it is permanent, it should be taken off the membership benefits, but having a store can have lots of benefits. Linux.com should be an official place for most things Linux.

There are several distributions that manages to have decent stores. Such a store could be a good idea to both increase income, but also to spread Linux more commercially. Although many of the t-shirts I have seen searching Google images, seems to be hard for many to relate to Linux in any way. Many were fun, some maybe a little inappropriate, but from what I manage to find, there were no Linux Foundation-line with different design approaches.

Some shops:

http://shop.canonical.com/

http://manjaro.org/webshop/

http://shop.opensuse.org/

http://www.linuxmint.com/store_tshirts.php

The most problem I have with many of these shops is that many of the products are very dull and static. It looks too much like a company freebie if it is just a regular t-shirt with a big fat logo on top of it. One nice thing with these pages is that they only show the wearables without anyone actually in them (or at least no focus on them, the main focus is the wearables), with a clean white background.

But still, there are stores that manage to make fashionable items, even fashionable and nerdy, and cool items. It could be a good place to get pens, card holders, t-shirts, and so on in bulks for stands or to give out. Or a coffee cup and pens to have at work.

There could be many good opportunities in such a store, so sad if it is closed for good.

Comments

• Thank you for pointing out the outdated information under membership benefits. We've updated our website to reflect the update.
  • olav
    olav Posts: 11
    edited October 2013
    So is it taken down for good or undergoing bigger changes?

The closed store could maybe have some more information about why it is closed, and if it is closed for good; how to obtain wearables or other items, either through other stores, or custom t-shirt services. Although it wont be much income from that, it would still contribute to the community and spread the awareness of Linux in general.

Custom apparel services
    It sure made me search the web for a good quality custom t-shirt provider. Has gotten the number down to 5 from a list of probably 15 that seems to have good quality :) That is:
    It is hard to find any information about how the print looks after several washes, and Spreadshirt the only one that seems reach out to most parts of the world, so might be my best option. If anyone have any experience with any of these services, I would be glad to hear :)

Btw, some of these services lets you make an account and add artwork that will be reachable to everyone that wants to make their own designs on any clothes or other items they may have.
  • olav
    It seems to be possible to create an own store in many of these sites. As well as add artwork and get a small amount of money whenever they are used.
  • olav
    edited November 2013
    I have a question regarding legal rights for use of logos from different distributions.

Can I upload and use logos from Red Hat, Arch, Ubuntu, Debian, and so on and print t-shirts for non-commercial use without asking every owners of the distributions?

For example, Red Hat seems to have a very strict policy for use of their shadowman logo, and it seems that it would not be legal to use it just for personal use in any way.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    The authors of each distribution are the copyright owners of their logos. To avoid bad relations or potential legal issues it is best to ask each that you wish to use.
  • math
    math Posts: 1
    I always wanted the hoodie from the linux store. And i can't even find an image of it online.

Does anyone know if the store will come up again?
  • I'm hoping someone can help me. I'm a long time Linux user (10+ years). A buddy (guru) and I are thinking of building a pair of mirror machines, so we have waded back out into the cruel world of hardware. My current setup was built 10 years ago consisting of a ASUS SK8V mobo, an AMD Opteron 246, and 2 GB of ECC RAM, and crammed into a full size tower holding a ton of hardware, including floppy drives of both sizes, 3 different CD-ROM players, and 4 different HD, running 4 different OS's. It serves as a workstation, and testbed (I'm the "official guinea pig")to test out new OS's before he commits to deploy them in a research environment. When it was built is *was* really high end at the time. Ten years later it is still running well, but it is now OLD.

We are currently in the research phase of identifying components that will work well with LINUX. After searching, and searching I found what seems to be a nice Motherboard (I've already tossed a number out of consideration based on reviews, etc.). The board is a Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P (rev. 1.0), but there is very little information out there, few reviews, and most of what is out there is more from Windoze users, and precious little about how well this board works with Linux. I've done a lot of research and we've decide to go with --IF be build it -- a 95W AMD FX3600 six core processor and initially between 4-8 GB RAM, given that this mobo is expandable to 32 GM RAM, and we still have topside if we want to upgrade the processors, we expect that we will have computers that will be current for several years. Any information you could provide about how well this board works with LINUX would be greatly appreciated.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    First, I highly recommend posting a new topic so that it does not clutter existing posts.

2nd, I cannot talk about that specific motherboard but it is very similar to the one that I am using in my desktop, it is very stable without major hardware issues, the only issue that I have is with the fact that it it will not boot a linux image from a flash drive, it only supports windows based flash drives in the bios, all installations will need to be done from disk.
  • I believe creating online apparel and promotional merchandise store that offers many different kinds of options to the customer who is purchasing is the best way to go. Starting with products that can be custom decorated with Screen Printing, Embroidery, and Direct to Garment DTG Printing. Have these three options on a company store website covers all your apparel needs; from T-shirts, Polo Shirts, and Jacket to Embroidered Hats and Computer Bags. Uploading unique promotional items quarterly is easy as there are thousands of new products continually being invented to have your company name or logo on. In this day and age corporate branding is more important than ever as the competition is jockeying for your spot every day. My suggestion isn’t if the ink will wash off but will the company stay around. The choice of companies is endless to choose from who are capable to do such a store who would warrant large volumes but I have a list.
    1. www.customink.com
    2. Café Press
    3. Precision Graphics
    4. Zazzle
    Now you’re probably saying wow? That’s it? Yes, these are the top sites that can handle such a project. Creating custom online apparel web stores for large businesses is what they do and process those order on time.

Categories

Upcoming Training