Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Dell Vostro 1000 wireless connection

Options

Hello, I am a complete novice that would like to start experimenting and using Linux.

I have a dell Vostro 1000 laptop, I have had the same problem with Ubuntu that I am now having with Mint 14 Mate. The problem happens either with the O.S installed on HHD with dual boot or Live CD.

My wireless card Broadcom 1390 will not work. I have selected the wireless driver that is listed in Additional Software at the same time as connected, wired, to my sky router.

The only way I can get Linux to connect wirelessly is through VMware player.

Please help as this is making me steering away from Linux.

Thank you for your help.

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Options
    If you follow the instructions on this link:
    http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43

It will help you determine exactly what card you have and what driver will work with your card. Installation instructions are further down on the page. Unfortunately, older Broadcom chips are a bit problematic, but, getting the correct driver usually helps.
  • Figueirido
    Options
    Hello GoinEasy9,
    Thank you somuch for your help. Ihave tried to follow instruction as much as possible (for a complete new person to linux,it was not easy) in following instruction I did come across errors even on updating the system through a wired connection.
    I have tried different systems like: Ubuntu, Mint 12 and 14 also OpenSUSE, all with no joy in getting my WIFI card working.

I am writing this post using Mint 14 with a Belking USB Card connected to the laptop and using my wireless network (I am impressed) soI assume that linux in generaldoes not like Dell Vostro 4311 Wireless adapter. I will continue with the Belkin USB wireless adapter.
    Thank you so much for all your help.
    Regards
    Ignacio

Categories

Upcoming Training