Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

acer netbook problems

Options

Morning!

I have an old Dell PC that's running the latest version of Ubuntu, and I just bought an Acer Aspire One netbook. I'm having problems installing Ubuntu on it, and I'm pretty sure it's all in the fact that it has a teeny-tiny amount of memory (1G). I'm installing an extra memory module next week to fix that, so that's not my problem.

What I really want to do is set up a network where the netbook would be able to access the PC. The netbook's primary function is going to be writing where I'm more comfortable. The PC has all of my writing, writing software, and music on it. I'm aiming to make it like a computer lab in a school, where one drive has all the fun stuff, but both systems can access and change them.

Is this possible, or am I going to have to stick to USB sticks and google docs?

Thanks for any help! :)

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Options
    How are you attaching to the internet now? Do you have a router? If both machines are connected to the same router (wired or wireless), you should be able to access the files over the network.

I'm not familiar with Unity on Ubuntu, so I can't give you a first hand experience, but, you should be able to find desktop sharing software, or file sharing software in your Ubuntu repos.

You could also mount a partition that is on machine 1 from machine 2. You could also ssh from one machine into another, or use sshfs for mounting. If you just want to copy a file from one machine to another you can use scp.

There's no need to settle for usb sticks or google-docs, although sometimes they are the easier solution. It depends on how you want to share the files.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Options
    There are many ways possible to share the files between computers, you can setup ftp, ssh , sftp, smb or nfs shares. Some of the listed daemon services allow you to mount the external shared directory as a directory in your user directories to make the transfer and sharing transparent.

Categories

Upcoming Training