Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

"No network protocols running"

tytower
tytower Posts: 2
edited July 2012 in Networking

Occasionally I get the message below when trying to connect with a USB modem to my ISP

What is this telling me ?

Is my ISP not providing the service at the time or is this something not running on my machine which should be ?

Anyone know?

Running Puppy 5.3.1

Code:

IPCP: timeout sending Config-Requests

sent [LCP TermReq id=0x2 "No network protocols running"]

sent [LCP TermReq id=0x3 "No network protocols running"]

Connection terminated.

Sending break to the modem

PDP context detached

Script /etc/ppp/peers/gprs-disconnect-chatmm finished (pid 9984), status = 0x0

Serial link disconnected.

Modem hangup

Exit status is 0

DISCONNECTED

Press ENTER to quit

Press r ENTER to reconnect/try again

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Is it a dialup usb modem or one of those 3g modems? What software are you using to access the modem? How is the software configured?

It seems the driver is not up to par, whatever you're using. Maybe it just needs to be tweeked. Or it could be the signal is not strong, from your end or from the ISP.

Give us more info, and, we may be able to help you more.
  • tytower
    tytower Posts: 2
    edited July 2012
    t is a 3G modem from Huawei Model E160E
    Signal strength is 7.7 from OPtus in Australia
    The software is the dialup script of Puppy Linux 5.31 and most times it connects almost immediately

What might help is what message will I get back if the ISP is not able to provide the service for some reason?
  • roobal
    roobal Posts: 25
    It seems like LCP has negotiated connection, but NCP protocol cannot configure network protocol like IP or IPX, so LCP protocol terminate connection. Check your PPP protocol configuration, make sure that user login and password are correct. Contact also with your ISP, maybe his router has invalid configuration.

Categories

Upcoming Training