Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

very very bad start with Linux

I had the worst start with Linux ever

1- in my 1st installation i formatted all the hard disk this was on the computer of my friend

2- in my computer i have xp i tried to install Linuxm-int12 beside xp but every time i complete the installation and when i restart the xp open automatically and no choices

i tried many times and the same problem

-

"xp open automatically and i can not log in to Linux "

plz help me

Comments

• Ok. Go to control panel then system then advanced system settings. click on settings for startup and recovery. put a check inside the box that says "time to display list of operating systems" then choose your time setting in seconds. I pulled this off win vista, but the area you need to go is the same. I used to run xp. Lemme know if this fixes your problem.
  • The GRUB menu is kept in a file called menu.lst. If u have Mint live cd, try to boot with the same and on terminal windows type as:
    sudo grub
    find /boot/grub/stage1
    root (hd0,0)
    setup (hd0)
    quit
    and as root edit /boot/grub/menu.lst, where u see the name of the OSs. see here almost same topic:
    https://www.linux.com/learn/answers/view/808-i-have-installed-linux-mint-on-a-newly-refurbished-windows-xp-got-linux-on-12-of-hard-drivehow-do-i-switch-into-windows-if-i-choose-tonot-that-i-want-tojust-that-i-would-like-to-find-out
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    If you installed Mint onto the PC, and Windows XP still comes up without asking you which OS to boot into, you're making the wrong choice of where to install Grub during installation. If you choose to install Grub to the MBR, then, if something went wrong, the only OS to boot would be Mint, not XP. I would go over your installation steps and look to see where you choose the wrong option.
  • win was installed originally. checking your settings as I said is still the most basic option. If it fails, go to what others suggested. sorry, my mind runs on simplified. always try easiest first. not sayin other suggestions won't work, just sayin process of eimination. easy, next, medium, next, hard and beyond. cant hurt to simplify bro. self tought and ok. :) get er done.....:)

Categories

Upcoming Training