Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Unrecoverable Error

Jut tried to install Ubutu 12.04 on my pc that I had uninstalled Windows and formatted the drive prior to installing Ubutu. Just about all the way through to the end of the installation I got a message stating "Installer has encountered an unrecoverable error and will now start a desktop session for you to .........". Cant remember the rest sorry!

The OS seems to run ok from that point once the desktop is loaded from the cd but system will not boot properly without having the Ubutu installation cd in the drive. Then of course it tries again to install.

I went through the process again telling it to erase Ubutu and reinstall Ubutu with the seme error message at the end.

Ideas?

Chris

Comments

• woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    What is the make + model + any other info about this system you can provide?
  • Try to go to repair mode(GUI) and invoke the option "boot installed system" / whatever it is by inserting the setup cd. Hope next time is will boot properly.
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    An unrecoverable error may be hardware based, as the new Ubuntu requires newer hardware, and will fail to install on some older hardware. That's why there are different versions of Ubuntu, that is, versions made for older computers. Unless you're more specific about your hardware, there really is no way of answering your question.
  • Sorry Fellas, I have been trying to get the info on my system. The Windows OS has been erased and the hard drive formated before attempting a fresh install. I know I am running a creative sound blaster pro for video card and I'm pretty sure the system is about 7-8 years old. I will try to provide more specifics this week.

Someone mentioned Ubuntu is primarily for newer hardware. Is there an older version that may be better suited to my antiquated machine here?

It was getting so slow that a freind mentioned I should try Linux and breath some new life into the old girl. Well here I am complete nube and failures on both systems I have tried to install on. I also tried to install Ubuntu on my laptop an Acer Aspire 3900 but I believe with it there is a lack of memory RAM. The laptop only has 512 and it dedicates somethint like 20 some megs for video leaving my 448 mb remaining. I'm told Ubuntu needs 512 when used from a usb drive.

Chris
  • Goineasy9
    The Ubuntu derivative Lubuntu may be what you're looking for. It was designed for older hardware, and, hardware that has minimum memory, disk space etc.

Lubuntu link from DistroWatch:
    http://distrowatch.com/index.php?distribution=lubuntu&month=April&year=2012
  • I don't think memory is a problem with the desk top. I believe it was running 1 or 2 mb of Ram. It has a 60 gb hard drive.

In the next few days I will pull the fan off the cpu and find out what it actually is. Over the years, it was UP graded a few times but this was the original machine 10 years ago and the current config is more powerful.

The original purchase was 2002-12-27 and was a Athlon XP 2000+ (1.86MHz) and MSI KT4VL mainboard.
    and MSI GF4 MX440-VTP 64MB DDR video card, The soundblaster is you sound card.

Chris
  • Goineasy9
    edited May 2012
    You don't need to pull off the cpu fan. I have an old athlon that's working just fine that was also bought back 10 years ago. The problem is that the new DE's are using 3D effects that are not workable with older video cards. So, see if you can identify the video card.

Edit: Sorry, just noticed you did identify the card. When I get home tonight I'll see if I can Google up some answers.
  • Seems to me that that original video card is no longer the one in the system. It popped and had a cascading affect and took out the mother board with it. I will try to have a look this evening at the existing video card. I think it is of the same manufacturer but a better model. I will check. Thanks so far to everyone.

Chris....
  • Chris Realnice
    Chris Realnice Posts: 5
    edited May 2012
    Ok, for sound; Creative emu1ok1-JFF Creative Tech 97

For video; Radeon 9550, 256 MB DDR 128 bit.

Hope this helps. I'm really hoping to be able to run Ubuntu 12.04 but if the machine is not up to snuff I guess I will have to look at Lubuntu. Everything in it seems to be a compromise though, or does lite not mean (kinda crippled)?

Chris

Last minute addition here. Once I receive that unrecoverable error message the desk top loads. Once it is loaded I have not found anything yet that does not work so It appears the system is capable. Yes no?
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    It may be that some service or driver can't start, but it obviously is not one that you are dependent upon. You can look at the system messages in /var/log/messages* for indicators of what went wrong. It may be that you can just disable some service, or remove an unneeded driver to stop the "nagging".

Categories

Upcoming Training