Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

IBM G41 laptop running windows 2000

Would like to use this computer for email and net. What do you think would be the best distro? I think that I've picked up viruses/malware because it's really s-l-o-w. Am I wrong to think that if I replace the OS that the virus will go away?? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Comments

• Probably, it is IBM-Lenovo Thinkpad G41 which has 512 mb ram if u further did not upgrade ram. If my guess is ok, the specifications r all tested on Linux OS except 56k modem and PCMCIA r not ok now. Though the driver is available and can install to check it. U can replace any distro such as, CentOS / Mint 12 / Ubuntu / Fedora / SuSE on which u have confidence to install and make ur works smooth. Linux is more secured and integrated OS than Winds. U may try to check this OS at least once.
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    Burn and run some live distributions and see what you like best. If you can boot off of the USB drive, you can use Unetbootin to install a number of Linux live cd/dvd iso images on a thumb drive and boot/install from that if you don't want to, or can't, burn a bunch of CDs and/or DVDs. Here is a link to Unetbootin: http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    I've had a Thinkpad G41 for quite a few years. I've had Mepis, PCLinuxOS, sidux, Fedora and siduction running on it without any installation or update problems. It used an Atheros chip for wifi, which, is included in the kernel, and, had performed spectacularly for as long as I can remember. Wiping Windows off of it many years ago was the best move I ever made.

Categories

Upcoming Training