Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

WLAN0

Ok, i just installed backtrack 5r1 gnome on vmware. I bought a netgear wg111v3 usb adapter to use with backtrack. Throughout the 16 hours ive wasted on this topic ive noticed you have to be able to see wlan0 in "ifconfig" and "iwconfig"

to be able to see wireless networks around you... how do i do this... PLEASE PROVIDE SIMPLE!!! STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS... I am very new to the linux envoironment...AS MUCH DETAIL AS POSSIBLE... PLEASE AND THANK YOU

Comments

• Mason,
    First of all, to answer your question, my physical computer is running windows... and you said something about ndiswrapper.
    I dont know what that is. Can you tell me what i have to do?....
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Since you are running backtrack in a vmware virtual machine you do not need to worry about the physical device drivers for backtrack, you only need to set the networking for the guest VM to use a bridged connection from your physical wireless card, the bridged connection will appear as a ethernet connection in the VM.

http://www.vmware.com/support/ws4/doc/network_bridged_ws.html
  • im sorry if the way im saying things is leading you to the wrong idea... i do have internet... the thing that i want is when going to wicd network manager to be able to see wireless networks...
  • and i want to turn moniter mode on...
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    When using backtrack in a guest Vm you cannot access the physical wifi as a wifi connection, it will be passed to the client OS as an ethernet connection which will halt wifi scanning and monitoring capabilities.

If you want to run backtrack with real wifi capabilities, then you should run a physical installation from a CD, USB drive or hard drive installation.

Categories

Upcoming Training