Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Linux and FF Ubiquity?

Options

As a designer I've needed Adobe products forever and so I don't normally use Linux and aren't as active looking for Linux information. I just joined a 100% Linus shop where I will be running Linux on my development side so I have been looking more into new things and distribution packages.

One thing that has hampered me in the past is my addiction to FF Ubiquity. As anyone who knows Ubiquity will tell you, Mozilla abandoned Ubiquity back in 3.6 and so I have steadfastly refused to upgrade my browser past 3.6. Since my browser doesn't support most of the new HTML5 and CSS3 I use, I am at that juncture where I must face a bleak future without Ubiquity and have to upgrade to a newer version of FF. As you can tell, I'm very depressed.

To get to my point, as I've been searching around Linux I keep seeing some posts talking about Ubiquity and newer versions of FF. What I can't tell is if this is something Linux specific, or if there is something in a Linux Distribution that emulates Ubiquity, or what. So...is there a Linux specific Ubiquity or something like Ubiquity in Linux?

Essentially all I really care about is the ability to quickly use the Ubiquity UI in searching various websites and search engines. I don't do anything more complex than that (as far as I can think off the top of my head.) So if there is no Ubiquity Linux or anything, is there something in Linux that has this type of functionality?

Thanks. I look forward to learning more about Linux everyday.

Comments

• woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    Options
    Which version of FF depends upon the distribution + version of Linux you will be running. I am running a clone of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 6, and the latest supported FF version is 3.6.26 - you have to install FF manually if you want a later version. So if you were running RHEL 6.x (latest is 6.2), you could still use the Ubiquity extension. Unfortunately, I can't find it for anything later than that - and nothing like it AFAIK for Chrome exists.

Categories

Upcoming Training