Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Looking for a Laptop

GpD79
GpD79 Posts: 8

Hello Everyone,

I'm currently using a Mac computer, but it's getting old and it's not working with a lot of things out on the web anymore because of its age and computing capability. I'm looking to buy a new laptop and I'm not considering mac because it is so expensive and too much of it is becoming proprietary. Unfortunately, they don't seem to sell laptops without operating systems so that I can load a Linux into it. Does anyone know of good websites where I can buy a reletively inexpensive high quality laptop without all the extra sotware stuff so that I can put linux into it?

I know this probably may not be the best forum for these questions, but I couldn't figure out where I should ask this question. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide!

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    You can also get a laptop with a Linux-base OS pre-installed in which you can easily wipe it off and isntall your chosen OS. A lice little list is at http://www.mannul.com/the-top-five-linux-desktop-vendors.html
  • GpD79
    Hey guys, this is exactly what I was looking for. Have any of you gotten laptops from here? If you have, what kinds did you get?
  • mfillpot
    I have a Serval Pro laptop from System76. It is rock solid with perfect kernel support, however they are not the best about giving documentation or installation disks.
  • GpD79
    I was looking at the System76 site. It looks like they have nice stuff, but it's still pretty expensive. For example, check out this link to this dell costing $849.99:

http://www.frys.com/product/6661324

If I were to get something that would be similar to the dell, it would be the serval profesional at a cost of $1481.00.
    http://www.system76.com/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=114

For that price, I'm back to where the Apple machines are in price. Although, I'll probably get a lot more bang for my buck w/ the system76.

Maybe I had the wrong impression that Linux was cheaper and better. Maybe it's just better :-) I could always get the Dell and install Linux myself, but having not done that before, I don't want to spend all that money just to break it. :unsure:
  • mfillpot
    The benefit from the System76 laptops is complete kernel driver support, with a Dell system you will not know about any hardware incompatibilities or chipsets used until it is received.

In my opinion the additional cost is worth it to make sure that MS does not get another installation into the world and profit from a user who does not use their products.
  • GpD79
    @arochester Is it easy enough for a novice like myself to install Linux and use it without major problems?
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    GpD79 wrote:
    @arochester Is it easy enough for a novice like myself to install Linux and use it without major problems?

It should be pretty straighforward with any of the "user friendly" distros like Opensuse,Ubuntu, Fedora,etc . If it's going to be your only OS it'll probably be really easy and you'll be up and running in less than half an hour :)

Regards
  • asedt
    asedt Posts: 96
    You have a long list here:

http://linuxpreloaded.com/

It's worth checking out and it also list shipping information.
  • RSims
    RSims Posts: 146
    I know everyone is posting linux pre-loaded links, however since price and quality both matter, I have had a great experience with newegg.com

You won't get a linux pre-loaded laptop but you will get a great one at a great price. I bought the Toshiba Satellite C655 and dual boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu 11,04

Ubuntu found all my drivers and was easy as ever to install, Windows of course made me go hunting on the toshiba website. However the physical product itself is amazing and you should consider getting one yourself. It has the new B940 intel processor 2 ghz dual core x64. The battery lasts very well for a full blown screen, it has a full keyboard with the 10 number key pad as well. It also has a very good cooling design, I have not yet felt it even get "hot" or "warm". It also comes with a 500 gig hard drive which allows me plenty of space.

newegg.com check it out B)
  • Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I was thinking the same thing as you Richard Sims. I'm definitely going to go that route Richard.

I was on the phone with someone from HP and I was asking for an NVIDIA graphics card. He stated that NVIDIA is not compatible with Linux. Is that true?
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Actually Nvidia is probably the most compatible with Linux. Someone at HP doesn't know what he is talking about.
  • RSims
    I agree, I have used Ubuntu and Fedora with both ATI and NVIDIA graphics cards. NVidia is much more stable although they seem to have worked out the kinks lately for ATI, still; If your looking for compatability, nvidia is your best bet.
  • Wayne_Sallee
    Wayne_Sallee Posts: 20
    edited October 2011
    Rule #1 Don't buy a laptop made by hp.

Rule #2 Don't buy a laptop made by hp.

Rule #3 Don't buy a laptop made by hp.

I'd also be a bit hesitant in getting a laptop with Nvidia. Nvidia in the past has produced some really great graphics chips that work better with linux than other GPU manufactures, but the recent fiasco and dishonesty from Nvidia. Leaves me looking at other GPU manufactures.

I'll be glad when the day comes when we can build our own laptops. I build and rebuild my own desktops, and would never buy a desktop because it's so much better to build them than to buy them. Laptops are still quite proprietary. Laptops are being designed for people that don't know anything about computers, so when those of us that are well familiar with computers looks for a laptop, they are all disappointing, as they are not designed with good standards.

Wayne Sallee
    Wayne@WayneSallee.com
  • Because Ipads are proprietary and more expensive.

Also as to the original question of looking for a laptop without any software installed,,,, With what little software is actually put on computers anymore, and with the advertisements that software companies pay them to put on the laptops, you are only looking at about $50.00 in cost of laptop going to software, if that much. So finding a laptop without any software installed to try to save money, is not going to save you much money. And if you do save any money the savings will be less than the cost of the software.

Wayne Sallee
    Wayne@WayneSallee.com
  • RSims
    I don't understand the above statement of not buying HP products. For laptops, HP, ASUS, and Toshiba make great products.

• Hp has made some bad laptops and has been the most dishonest about it. Because hp has had so many consumer complaints and law suits, they decided to get out of the personal computer market. There is talk that they might have changed their mind on that.

Wayne Sallee
    Wayne@WayneSallee.com
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    Ah, a bunch of new replies to old postings... :-)

Anyway, for a Linux laptop, I have to recommend www.zareason.com - they only sell Linux systems (many choices of pre-installed distributions). They have netbooks, laptops, workstations, and servers. They are located in Berkeley, California. Great folks, and will help you as much as possible to make your Linux experience a good one. All of their hardware will work "out-of-the-box" with Linux.
  • It's nice to see companies supporting Linux, but if you want a 17" laptop the cheapest one they have is $1500.00. It would be cheaper to purchase a laptop with Window$ installed and then install Linux instead.

Wayne Sallee
    Wayne@WayneSallee.com
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    edited January 2012
    Well, a similar system from Dell (without Bluetooth) is about $1000. It also only has a 6-cell battery (vs. 9-cell), less capable video hardware, and lower resolution display (1600x900 vs. 1920x1080). If you upgraded the Dell to the capabilities of the ZaReason system, the prices would be similar, I would expect. Also, the time you would take to rip out Windoze and install/configure Linux would not be insignificant. With the ZaReason model, you are guaranteed that everything works out-of-the-box with Linux.
  • Installing Linux is extremely easy. Those graphics resolution differences would make no difference to me.
    I would want blue tooth though.

I should also say that I have not found any laptops recently that I like. I'm currently dissatisfied with all laptops currently on the market. I wish I could just build my own laptop like I do with my desktop computer. I'll be glad when the day comes when I can build my own laptop.

Wayne Sallee
    Wayne@WayneSallee.com
  • RSims
    edited January 2012
    Well, fact is when your the largest PC manufacturer in the world (HP) you of course are bound to make some bad ones here and there. If you don't want an HP, Toshiba and ASUS make great products. Honestly if I were you I would check out newegg.com and tigerdirect.com for the best prices.

I ordered my Toshiba laptop from newegg. It was $399.00 USD with free shipping and no tax with the following specs:

2.6 ghz B940 intel duo core 64 bit processor, 500 GB HD,built in intel HD graphics good enough to play Fall Out New Vegas, 4 GB RAM DDR3, full size keyboard, built in webcam/mic, wireless & bluetooth and a DVD/RW with a 15" screen. The battery lasts me exactly 4 hours of constant usage running windows and Visual Studio, longer running linux and Libre-Office.

Newegg.com and Tigerdirect.com have the absolute best prices.

• Mistakes are one thing, but gross dishonesty is another. Hp used to be great, but not any more. The only thing that I like about hp is that they still have the pdf service manuals easily down-loadable for all of their computers, but the laptop I have now (and will have to stick with for a while) that I recently got hp to give me in replacement for the defective one,,, the pdf was not how this computer was made. They made changes to this model, it's design stinks compared to the older design.

Yea, newegg.com is where I order a lot of stuff, and highly recommend.

Wayne Sallee
    Wayne@WayneSallee.com
  • fifi30
    fifi30 Posts: 9
    edited April 2019

In my opinion the additional cost is worth it to make s sure that MS does not get another installation into the world and profit from a user who does not use their products.

• fifi30
    fifi30 Posts: 9
    edited April 2019

In my opinion the additional cost is worth it to make s sure that MS does not get another installation into the world and profit from a user who does not use their products. https://xender.pro/ https://discord.software/ https://omegle.onl/

• dday35216
    dday35216 Posts: 71

Currently you can get a refurbished Acer C720P Chromebook for around $100 with 4gb of ram. Upgrade the harddrive to something bigger ( I went with 420gb) and then install GalliumOS , a Linux distro built for Chromebooks and you'll have a cheap touchscreen linux laptop that is light, fast and awesome. :)

• madie62
    madie62 Posts: 1

Yes, I just got to know about this news that sony just announced the new series which seems to be pretty perfect to me and you can also check the depth of their specification here https://productz.com/en/sony-vaio-e-series-14/p/xlg98 also you can compare the same laptop with other high end laptop which might cost you little less.

• Here I prefer you the new Apple MacBook Air (M2, 2022) is the greatest laptop you can purchase right now, vastly improving on Apple's previous model (which is still on our list). It has a new design that gives it a more contemporary feel while also making it slimmer and lighter, and we liked that it has a bigger, brighter screen in our review. With this new edition, there are even more beneficial upgrades, such as a bigger Touch ID sensor for entering in with your fingerprint and a 1080p camera, making the new MacBook Air a fantastic laptop for individuals who make a lot of video calls - and these days, that's most of us. Meanwhile, the new MagSafe charging connector makes charging the new MacBook Air's battery simple, safe, and quick.

• @trevor4079 The original post was made eleven years ago...

Categories

Upcoming Training