Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Bootable partition FAT or NTFS in Slackware Linux

I want install Slackware Linux to alternative file system bootable FAT or NTFS. I know this system run slowly nevertheless to insall in this partitions because another operating systems "see" files. Mac OS and Microsoft DOS & Windows "don't see" partition ext's. How step by step install FAT (FAT 12, FAT 16, FAT 32) or NTFS file system in Slackware. In particular full installation in FAT32 or NTFS

Comments

• marc
    marc Posts: 647
    I doubt any installer supports NTFS but the FAT should work. Just format the partitions with FAT instead of ext3/ext4/reiser/whatever you use and proceed with a normal installation

Regards

• OK. How to doing during instalation?
  • marc
    Well, I haven't ever installed Slackware but it should give you the option to manually partition and format hard disks. Look in there :)

Regards
  • Yes, I read in internet about UMSDOS & NTFS-3G. What it is UMSDOS & NTFS-3G and with what differ to FAT & NTFS. I'm sorry that I ask, because I beginner person and no have experience to Slackware Linux.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    I highly recommend against trying to install any Linux based distro in a FAt or NTFS partition because those filesystems do not support linux permissions. Instead you should consider having designated linux partitions using EXt4 or whatever linux based fs you wish to use then having a windows formatted partition to share files.
  • there are so many Windows and Mac based application that will show/read 'ext' based partions with out any problem. Try to use native Linux partion for Linux. Use the previously mentioned application to read/copy files to NTFS, when you are in Windows/Mac
  • Urbanik
    Urbanik Posts: 11
    Well as I take it I can mkfs to create a FAT partition or NTFS? For me it was logged as ROOT weaves, then that is typed cfdisk instead I have to type in mkfs? Please Reply
  • marc
    Please Reply

Replied.

There you go, happy now?
  • Urbanik
    Thans.
  • Urbanik
    Sorry. Thanks.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    I do not really understand your question, but I will try my best to help.

You will need to use fdisk or cfdisk to make the partition, in which you should set it as the NTFS type.
    Then you can use mkfs.ntfs to format the partition as NTFS.
  • RSims
    RSims Posts: 146
    I'm going to give my 2 cents and try to help the situation:

The first question was should you install Linux on FAT or NTFS, second question was how to do it. Now your questions are mixed and confusing.

Let me simplify, Install Linux how it should normally be installed, Install windows how it should normally be installed.

Next, when you run into a problem, ask us how to fix it.

I simply don't believe what your trying to do is needed or necessary.
  • Urbanik
    To Richard Sims: listen sorry for the confusion but I meant here is whether the Slackware Linux can be installed FAT and NTFS and if it possible send me the step by step as we can.
  • RSims
    RSims Posts: 146
    What is your goal by installing this on FAT or NTFS? I do not believe it will work on NTFS since that is a windows operating system file system, However just about anything recognizes fat but it will be slow and not encrypted.

What is your end goal you are trying to accomplish, maybe there is a better way of going about it is what I was trying to say. So explain to us what it your trying to do, are you trying to make a linux file server or something? If so you don't need it to be on the same file system to work with your windows systems. Explain what your trying to do so we can further help.
  • Throughout the post u never disclose why u need to install NTFS/FAT32 partition on boot time. However, it is better not ot install during installation time, rather create ntfs / fat partition after install with full rw permission by using NTFS-3G. After install search for NTFS-3G and install if it did not install already. Then follow this: It is needed to add wind drive to /etc/fstab file like : /dev/hdx /C ntfs-3g rw,user 1 2
    Here replace 'x' with the actual letter of wind drive while /C is the mount point and ntfs-3g is the file system type, "rw" means read and write and "user" means any user can unmount / mount the drive. 1 2 are for FS checking, if u don't want to check drive for errors every time boots, then change it to 0 0. But it is recommended to keep as 1 2. For more info and full installation guide: www.howtoforge.com/the_perfect_desktop_slackware12

Categories

Upcoming Training