Welcome to the new Linux Foundation Forum!

HELP!!!

OK - maybe that was over the top a bit - but right before moving in June, i took my older Toshiba Satellite A35-S159 to my 'puter tech, and had him dump the windows OS and install the Linux/Ubuntu (it is the 10-10) OS -

it boots like a rocket compared to that junked-up windows unit, but i am still on a STEEP learning curve here . . .

for the record, i am functionally illiterate in the way of the 'puter, and need the simplest instructions possible to get thru this . . . i have take some very basic classes on 'puter ops, but none dealing with actual system applications or operations

it took a bit of time to figger out the way to get it to talk to the internet, and when i got that done, it now keeps telling me to upgrade to the latest iteration (12-something?) and pops up with the following each time it boots:

OAFIID:GNOME_ClockApplet - - - IndicatorApplet - - - FastUserApplet "fails" and asks me whether or not it wants me to DELETE or DON'T DELETE . . .

also - is there a recommended antivirus or system protector (like DEFENDER, etc.) which i should apply to this unit?

HOW (please!!!) do i convince this crazy thing to UPGRADE and how do i get it to the place where i can use it to full effectiveness - - - also, if there is anyone in western oklahoma who knows how to use this system or works on it, i would appreciate that info as well - in addition, i wold welcome anyone with the tech ability to remotely access this unit and see what they can find about it and maybe tweak it a bit.

i only use it for writing and surfing - no business activity

thanks for your replies

alex

ps - if you want to talk about this, or live chat, let me know

Comments

• Ubuntu has a new issue every six months. Some are supported for a longer time, they are know as LTS - Long Term Support.

10.10 means 2010, October. It was supported until 2012, April.

Normally you can't upgrade say 10.10 straight to 14.10. You need to go from 10.10 through 11.04 to 11.10 to 12.04 to 12.10 LTS to 14.04 LTS...

There are too many things that can go wrong with this.

It will be easier to copy off all of your personal stuff, to an external USB drive, and then do a new, clean install.

Generally you don't need an antivirus with Linux. You might want to install a firewall in your machine, something like UFW (Uncomplicated Firewall).
  • When you get your new LTS system of Ubuntu installed, browser around this site which should help you get around your system at a comprehensive level.

https://help.ubuntu.com/14.04/ubuntu-help/index.html

Ubuntu has multiple flavors. Scan through this list and find one that you like most.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuFlavors

Your system has detected a new version of ubuntu and is prompting you to update. It is better that you stick with the LTS versions as they are supported longer than the non LTS versions.

Installing Ubuntu is actually easy. You will be able to get through it even if you claim computer illiteracy.