Welcome to the new Linux Foundation Forum!

Articles and Tutorials

Hi!

I have blogged here a few times and it's easy. Yesterday I decided to submit an article instead of just posting another blog entry. It hasn't appeared on the site yet, though I did see a new addition after I submitted mine yesterday.

I'm just wondering, how long does it typically take for the editors/moderators/proofreaders etc to approve and publish a new article or tutorial? This will be my first "real article" here if it gets approved... the others are just blog posts and I can't even tell if anyone reads them.

Just curious.... how long should I wait before just posting it to my blog?

Thanks,

Robin

Comments

• Goineasy9Goineasy9 Posts: 1,116
    I know that there has been a review rule in effect to reduce spam. If it doesn't show up in a few hours, i'll send an email off and see if I can expedite it. Thanks for the submission and your patience. I'll also see if there is a way to bypass the rule for your username. I know that those that submit blogs frequently don't have to wait for review.
  • Thanks! It'd be so cool for li'l ol me to have an article published on this prestigious site!

Funny thing is, a newbie that I introduced to Linux had an article published on Linuxforums.org quite a while back. She was only 13 when she wrote it, so I guess I'm overdue for one of my own, lol!

Thanks!
    I see two of your blogs in the Latest Community Blogs on the front page, I guess your in business. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to read them later. If I reading this wrong, let me know.

Tom
  • The blogs are just blog entries, but the ARTICLE was about desktop environments and window managers. It has not appeared yet...

Thanks for checking though!
    Ah, articles are treated differently than blog posts, I'm not familiar with that procedure. Matt might be along to shed some light on that hopefully. Sorry I misunderstood originally. We'll get to the bottom of it though, just be patient.
  • mfillpotmfillpot Posts: 2,180
    The articles must be reviewed by the proofreaders before they are approved and most do not get approved because they do not meet their standards. The wait time may be significant depending on the workload for the proofreaders, so patience is necessary.

Just let me know if you hear nothing or it is not approved within a week, at that point I will inquire on the status of your post.
  • Cool, okay Mfillpot! I'll wait (I'm just anxious because it'll be my first "real" article that isn't just a blog posting). I just didn't know what to expect. Blog posts are published instantly! So compared to "articles and tutorials" there's been quite a difference, lol.

Thanks again,
    Robin
  • It might be nice to get an e-mail or something when you submit an article or tutorial - some sort of acknowledgement that it has been received and is pending review, instead of leaving an author hanging for this long.

Blog posts appear instantly, so I don't understand why an article should take so long. It's been several days now and while two more articles have appeared on the site, mine has yet to even be privately acknowledged.

Perhaps I'll just stick to blog posts.
    You are one of the lucky blogs users that is pre-approved, most users must wait for the same moderation/proofreading for both articles and blogs.
  • chekkizharchekkizhar Posts: 182
    Yes Robin you are one lucky user as mfillpot told. My blog posts are in waiting state for just 3 weeks. So far not any one of them get approved. And more over, if you post any blog post that will come under Article section also.

There wont be much different , I think
    linustorvalds wrote:
    Yes Robin you are one lucky user as mfillpot told. My blog posts are in waiting state for just 3 weeks. So far not any one of them get approved. And more over, if you post any blog post that will come under Article section also.

There wont be much different , I think

I am sorry that I forgot about your posts, they must have been lost in the hustle. I will continue to push the admins to get them published or maybe even get something better set.
    mfillpot wrote:

I am sorry that I forgot about your posts, .

No need to say sorry matt. I understood , most of the people are in vacation.
    I will continue to push the admins to get them published or maybe even get something better set.

thank you matt .:)
  • I hope I didn't appear too impatient in my previous posts... I think it would save authors a little frustration however, if their submissions were at least acknowledged as having been received and explaining that it may be days or weeks before an article is approved. Had I known that ahead of time I wouldn't have made any fuss, lol.

I put a new-and-improved version of my article on my personal blog and offered it to the editor(s) via e-mail.

Thanks for explaining things a bit!

-Robin
    dixiedancer wrote:
    I think it would save authors a little frustration however, if their submissions were at least acknowledged as having been received and explaining that it may be days or weeks before an article is approved.

I also have same feeling. But, I heard the steps are going on to enhance the site management. So, hope soon these things will be available.
    And thats a good entry :-)
  • saqman2060saqman2060 Posts: 777
    Sorry chekk for the delay. Spent too much time working and not enough contribution. And done worry, you will get a result.
  • spixxspixx Posts: 9
    is there any intrest in some articles by the way? I have some time on my hands soon so I was thinking of doing articles on howto:

SSO (ldap+nss+Active directory)
    Webserver (with a kick, thttpd and you)
    Mailserver (with a kick, anti-spam/virus and vdomains)

How do I send one to you? Can you take it in html since I most often use a wiki to create content?
  • Clicky here to learn about submitting articles. And yes, you can submit them in HTML too! Quote from the source above:
    * Use the HTML Editor tool to enter HTML-formatted content. The simpler the HTML, the better.
    * If you have images, link them from a source site, such as your own site or a third-part imaging site such as Flickr.

The more articles the better, I should think.

-Robin
  • dixiedancer wrote:
    Hi!

I have blogged here a few times and it's easy. Yesterday I decided to submit an article instead of just posting another blog entry. It hasn't appeared on the site yet, though I did see a new addition after I submitted mine yesterday.

I'm just wondering, how long does it typically take for the editors/moderators/proofreaders etc to approve and publish a new article or tutorial? This will be my first "real article" here if it gets approved... the others are just blog posts and I can't even tell if anyone reads them.

Just curious.... how long should I wait before just posting it to my blog?

Thanks,
    Robin

A few minutes ago I posted a review comment related to a Linux Distro and it also didn't show up. I understand the need for an approval review as mentioned above, before allowing comments going life. That happen at many other places but they always advice the user about that, to avoid him to try to post again thinking something went wrong.

That's what I would suggest to be done here.