Welcome to the new Linux Foundation Forum!

Some sort of shutdown

Hi,

I did have Ubuntu lucid lynx for a while, I had it with Windows alongside it in a joint partition but I did something bad it seems and now when I turn on the computer when it comes to when it asks for what I want, ie: Windows or Ubuntu, and I push enter on Ubuntu the screen goes black and does not get to even the login page.

Please help as this is really frustrating and I want to get away from windows and have only Ubuntu on my computer. I am half thinking weather I have to re-download Ubuntu again.

Comments

• I have just tried getting on Ubuntu again and it had this code:

kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (8,1)
  • Goineasy9Goineasy9 Posts: 1,116
    Can you remember what the "I did something bad" could be? Did you do an update? Did you install something new?

Also, first you said you had to choose between Windows and Ubuntu, but, later on you said you only had Ubuntu on the computer. Could you clear that up for us? How did you install Ubuntu? Was it a wubi install where you installed it inside windows, or did you install it as a dual boot?

The error you posted could ave many possibilities. It could be the boot manager is pointing to the wrong partition. It could be that your install is corrupted. It could also mean that your disk drive has a problem.

Maybe go into more detail about how your computer was set up, and, try to remember what you were doing, or, what you did before the problem showed up.