Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Delete and restart Linux...

I don't know anything about Linux. I purchased this ASUS notebook that runs Linux. I seem to have deleted/killed some program and now I can not read my messages on Facebook. I would like to delete and re-start Linux on this notebook. Is it possible?? Please help... tia :) Tammy

Comments

• Zanpaktou
    Zanpaktou Posts: 30
    If you have a usb stick or a cd burner, you can re-install something good right now :

Installing Mandriva Linux
    Mandriva

Alternatively, you can purchase an install dvd or usb stick from the Mandriva on line store.
  • Zanpaktou wrote:
    If you have a usb stick or a cd burner, you can re-install something good right now :

Mandriva

You're recommending Mandriva for a NETBOOK!? Did she say what distro she was using? Are you here to help or just to push your favorite distro?

You should not need to completely re-install your OS. It may only be the web browser or flash that needs repair. Most netbook distros have a package manager (Synaptic, for example, on Debian, Mint, Ubuntu, Mepis, PCLinuxOS, etc) that you can use to check the status of all your programs. Sometimes a re-installation of your web browser and maybe Java or Adobe flash player fixes that facebook thingy.

When you write in again, tell us what distro you already have installed (and tell us about your netbook) and others who know your distro and your hardware can help you fix it.

Not to worry!

Robin
  • Tammy wrote:
    I don't know anything about Linux. I purchased this ASUS notebook that runs Linux. I seem to have deleted/killed some program and now I can not read my messages on Facebook. I would like to delete and re-start Linux on this notebook. Is it possible?? Please help... tia :) Tammy

IF U GOOGLE YOUR MAKE AND MODLE FOR RESET TO FACTRY SETING .
    IS LINUX THE FACTORY OS FOR YOUR COMPUTER .
    YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO RESET IT
  • Zanpaktou
    dixiedancer wrote:
    Zanpaktou wrote:

Mandriva

You're recommending Mandriva for a NETBOOK!? Did she say what distro she was using? Are you here to help or just to push your favorite distro?

You should not need to completely re-install your OS. It may only be the web browser or flash that needs repair. Most netbook distros have a package manager (Synaptic, for example, on Debian, Mint, Ubuntu, Mepis, PCLinuxOS, etc) that you can use to check the status of all your programs. Sometimes a re-installation of your web browser and maybe Java or Adobe flash player fixes that facebook thingy.

When you write in again, tell us what distro you already have installed (and tell us about your netbook) and others who know your distro and your hardware can help you fix it.

Not to worry!

Robin

Hi Robin,
    I'm not quite sure about your agenda or what drove you to make that post but you are obviously quite confused and not here to offer any useful advice accept to try to discredit those who do.

Tammy's post clearly states that she has purchased an ASUS notebook. Not an ASUS netbook (Link there so that you can learn what a netbook is, alright.)
    Irrespective of your mistake, Mandriva is actually geared towards ease of use and is optimised for netbooks anyway. Mandriva actually use EEEpcs in their development and testing. There are pictures of the development team doing so on their flickr page.
    You can learn about why Mandriva is netbook friendly here.
    But you should also just in general learn more about Linux, other Linux distributions and get that chip about Mandriva off your shoulder.

Just for your information. And this is important because you obviously either HATE Mandriva or want to push some other distro, I do not use Mandriva Linux. I used to use Mandrake Linux and it was in fact the very first distribution I installed when I first started using Linux over ten years ago.
    I recommend Mandriva because it is the most user friendly Linux distribution available. Period. There is absolutely no way you can convince me otherwise. Like I say, I have used Linux for over ten years and I KNOW which distribution is the easiest for new users to install and use.
    I myself find Fedora easy to use and I personally use that distribution because of lack of hard disk space to install NixOs on. What I use is irrelevant to answer this question. I would not go and recommend either of my first choice distributions to new users who are not familiar with Linux, simply because of how terrible packagekit is and NixOs is a development distribution for very experienced Linux users.
    Neither of those distributions are ideally suited to new users and that is why I say Mandriva.
    I will not recommend Ubuntu or OpenSuSe for ethical reasons. Please learn about Mark Shuttleworth and his pumping millions into Ubuntu to try to buy/build a Linux distribution.
    Also learn about Novell's patent deals with Microsoft and how they are faring as a result of it, to at least maybe understand my educated ethical choices.

Robin, you unfortunately show your lack of hands on experience.
    Many new machines which come with Linux pre-installed are shipping with 3rd rate quality distributions, which have been stripped down and "Tinkered" With to make them :
    Extremely difficult to update.
    Lacking in full software repositories.
    Without the option to install (Should you own a license) Software which allows you to encode or decode DVDs or h.264 video.
    Not to contain a package manager.

Asus are one of these manufacturers. If you had ever seen any of these new machines hands on, you would be aware of that and would realise that reloading it off a backup CD doesn't improve anything and how would Tammy re-install any software if the package manager has been removed from her distro? Either by accident or by Asus. She wouldn't be able to.

So installing a full user friendly Linux distribution is the most helpful advice because it is easy to do. Just boot off the disc and let the installer do the work.
    If Tammy knew what distribution she was using, she would have posted in the respective distribution specific section.

I am worried. I'm worried that there are more people like yourself, Robin offering advice like your last post and that others are even listening to you.
    Please don't offer help if you are going to offer nothing of use at all. There certainly is a place here for people who make an effort and actually know what they are talking about but trying to discredit others with bogus advice is not how to make friends and influence people. Just take a minute to think first next time. OK?

craig2168, please don't SHOUT. It's rude. Please respect the netiquette.

Tammy, (If you are reading this) I'm sorry that this post doesn't offer any solution to your problem. My previous post does.

Thanks,
    Tony
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,180
    Tony,
    It sounds like someone wants to start a flame war.

The issue is not with mandriva, only with the fact that you referred the user to switch to it before trying to find out which distro they were using, which does not address the how to fix the issues with the installed distro as the user requested.

Tammy,
    We need to know the make and model of the effected device so we can figure out which distro was installed and properly guide you to correct your issues. Please respond with the requested information and we will try our best to help with your issue. ;)
  • altNull
    altNull Posts: 65
    Actually, from your original post -
    I don't know anything about Linux. I purchased this ASUS notebook that runs Linux. I seem to have deleted/killed some program and now I can not read my messages on Facebook. I would like to delete and re-start Linux on this notebook. Is it possible?? Please help... tia Tammy

it seems that you just need to reinstall the internet browser. If your using Ubuntu (Debian based Distro), then you need to use the following command in the terminal:
    sudo apt-get remove <Browser Name>

Enter your login password

Once its done uninstalling the browser don't stop there - you need to reinstall the browser.
    sudo apt-get install <Browser Name>

Re-enter login password

If you want to do this in one single command then it would be -
    sudo apt-get remove <Browser Name>; sudo apt-get install <Browser Name>

Enter login password

If you have any problems - copy the contents of the terminal to this forum so we can help you. Also screen shots would be great too.

--altNull--
  • Zanpaktou
    mfillpot wrote:
    Tony,
    It sounds like someone wants to start a flame war.
    Here's what was said first :

dixiedancer wrote:
    Note the "Mandriva for a netbook?" Bit and the "Are you here to help or just to push your favorite distro?" Bit.
    Both derogatory, inflammatory and rhetorical questions. I just replied in the manner to which I was addressed with astute observations and sound advice.
    So if you mean me. No. You're wrong.

mfillpot wrote:
    The issue is not with mandriva, only with the fact that you referred the user to switch to it before trying to find out which distro they were using, which does not address the how to fix the issues with the installed distro as the user requested.
    I should hope not. dixiedancer seems to take issue with Mandriva?
    The title of the the thread is : Delete and restart Linux.
    So Tammy clearly wants a fresh start.

Tammy wrote:
    I don't know anything about Linux.
    Note, the "I don't know anything" Part.
    This means that Tammy doesn't know what distribution she has had pre-installed.

OK. All that aside, let's assume Tammy has a netbook and it is an Asus eeepc. Let's now workout that Xandros is installed on it from this :
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asus_Eee_PC#Linux_on_the_Eee_PC
    Wikipedia entry and then let's address the fact that there is no Xandros forum container on this site.

Zanpaktou wrote:
    If Tammy knew what distribution she was using, she would have posted in the respective distribution specific section.
    Then let's look at how there is no free software version of Xandros Linux available from Xandros' website and then let's go to the eeeuser forum and look at the title of the very first stickied thread :
    Mandriva 2008.1 (April): 1st natively 100% Eee-friendly Distribution
    So in conclusion. Asus pre-install Xandros but a slimmed down version. It is much better to rid any machine of it than try to fix or re-install it. First choice Mandriva. Second Moblin (Only because it is less mature.)

No wonder this forum is practically empty.
    Bye.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,180
    I think this is a dead post since Tammy has not returned to answer any questions. It was never stated exactly which distro was installed or exactly which model computer it is. All we know is that it is an Asus Notebook, which Tammy may have meant is a netbook (EEE PC), but we need clarification.

My issue with jumping to tell someone to change distros is that especially if they are new it may be overwhelming having to learn a new interface, we should first focus on seeing if the chosen distro can be fixed then do as they asked and guide them to reinstall the distro they were using.

Once Tammy returns we can give her the information she is requesting to complete the actions that she chooses.
  • mfillpot wrote:

My issue with jumping to tell someone to change distros is that especially if they are new it may be overwhelming having to learn a new interface, we should first focus on seeing if the chosen distro can be fixed then do as they asked and guide them to reinstall the distro they were using.

+1 That's all I was trying to say. Didn't mean to stir up anything. One doesn't buy a new car when the old one runs out of gas. A new installation would surely fix a broken browser, but she doesn't need to go through all that when two simple commands in a terminal may be all she needs to do.

Perhaps I was subconsciously reacting to an "I call BS on what Robin said..." remark in another thread, which was just a matter of opinion. When the same person responded with an apparent agenda in reply to a simple matter-of-fact question about a web browser, I over-reacted - not to the matter at hand, but to a previous snub by the same person in another thread. I was out of line to do that, and I apologize.

-Robin

P.S. Tammy, hopefully you have already solved your problem, but if not we're here to help.

Categories

Upcoming Training